Fall has definitely arrived, the leaves are turning brilliant shades of orange, crimson and golden yellow. The temperature is finally starting to cool down after such a warm summer. Much like changing our clothes to our winter wardrobe, it is time to make a few adjustmemts to our homes. Here is a list of my top 7 things you can do to update your home for the Fall.
1. Pull out the warm throws for your sofas, and chairs. As the cooler weather kicks in those warm blankets provide added warmth while you are relaxing, plus add another layer of texture to your room.
2. Update your pillow covers, remove the spring/summer colored pillow shams for some richer colored covers in a soft texture like velvet or chenille. You might even swap out your white sheets for flannel, patterned, or different color to change up your bedding.
3. Fill up the firewood box and get a fresh lighter or box of long matches. It is also a good time to get your chimney cleaned for the coming winter season. Having these things ready to go will keep you well prepared for those stormy rainy or snowy days ahead.
4. Change out your front door decor. I just took away my spring wreath and replaced it with a fall hanging basket of leaves. I also updated my potted plants to golden colored chrysanthemums and white and yellow cone flowers. It is always fun to change out the flowers around you from season to season.
5. Set your table with fresh new linens in your favorite fall colors. Not only will this bring warmth to your table setting, but you'll be ready to entertain guests when they stop by. Don't forget about your coffee tables as well. You might rotate these books with some new ones for seasonal reading.
6. Add your fall decorations to your mantles, hutches and table tops. This year I've added leaves, pumpkin colored candles and fresh mini pumpkins to bring Autumn indoors. I've also used some fall pumpkin spice potpourri from Hobby Lobby in a few of my glass decanters. This makes your home look and smell great. In the past I've filled up baskets with the potpourri as added decoration.
7. Finally, make sure you take time to have family or friends over to enjoy all your hard work. It is always nice to open our homes and share our time with the people that matter most in our lives.